Friday, September 13, 2013

1896 - Stay


I am officially in love with Taylor Schilling.  And I also found myself adoring Aidan Quinn, who I can normally not really get all that excited about - as far as I know it's the first time he's really played his age in recent years.
The film is about a young woman who is dating a man old enough to be her father, living in Ireland.  They have a nice simple life until she discovers she's pregnant, and knowing that he doesn't want children, the two take some alone time to figure out their shit, which includes her leaving their place in Ireland for her to return him to Canada to figure some stuff out (her father, played by Michael Ironside, was a delightful surprise).
The film starts off as a simple story of a couple, but then it ends up being an ensemble by the end, and the shift is confusing at first.  It muddles the central story a bit and left me wondering what the over-all themes of the piece there were.  Solid performances make the film an easy recommend, though, and make up for any of the film's minor flaws.

No comments: