Thursday, January 30, 2014

1959 - Dallas Buyer's Club


When I normally think about Matthew McConaughey I picture him on a poster with his shirt off.  So this is quite the change for me, and a welcome one at that.  I haven't gotten into True Detective yet, so this next stage McCanaughey is a breath of fresh air.  His character storms into the movie in such a great way - he's such a perfect prick and has one of the best character arcs an actor can ask for in a film.  For those who don't know, this film takes place that the height of the AIDS crisis.  It's about a straight man (homophobic) who comes down with the virus, and in an effort to save himself, becomes a savior for a lot of other people.
Jared Leto gives one of my favorite performances of his, and the two make a terrific pair.  I have to admit that I caught this on a whim because I had time to see something and picked between it and some other Oscar contenders - and I'm glad I did.  It's still in the theatres.  I don't think it's a Best Picture film, but the acting nod could easily go to Matthew for this one.

No comments: