Sunday, February 02, 2014

1960 - Fat Kid Rules the World


I remember seeing press for this film when it was in the festival circuit.  I've always enjoyed Lillard as an actor so it was exciting to see what he could do as a filmmaker.  I think it's a strong coming-of-age story, and more honest about how it feels to be that kid in that situation.  I've been there, though not nearly as damaged.  Poor kid. 
I found the film to be pretty charming.  I was planning to watch it in the background while doing some work but it drew me in completely.  The cast is full of solid performances and interesting characters that don't simply fall into the stereotypes one might come to expend in a film like this.  It's on netflix and I strongly recommend to anyone who loves tales about lovable losers.

No comments: