Sunday, April 06, 2014

1977 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier


It's quite something to take a character that's uninteresting on paper as Captain America, and have him be one of the better film franchise's in the Marvel universe.  I was surprised how much I liked this first one, and I have to say this newest entry blew my mind a little.  First, it's just a solid film - it's funny, it's smart, and it's got some kick-ass action sequences going on inside of here.  But secondly, and this is a MASSIVE SPOILER.  I couldn't help but watch the whole time thinking "Man, are they just destroying the world of their new TV series with where they're going with this story???".

What I love about the Marvel universe is how each film builds upon the last.  It's smart from a branding position because you feel like you can't miss anything (though I have to admit I'm not big on the series - I'll check in now that I see how they cross-over.).  The series working how it does is almost like a huge budget TV series in a way - where you've for Scarlet Johanson playing support in several different films, building upon previous outings.  I love it.  I for one am super excited to see where this team takes us next.

No comments: